On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 23:31:42 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

That's not a very convincing argument IMO. DMD packages are available for download on this site. As I have learned the hard way, the experience isn't always the best when you rely on distro packagers. I once had to change distros because of a package maintainer that didn't care that things were broken. I would much rather rely on a project's own packages, because there is an incentive to make sure they work, they won't get abandoned, and the latest version is always available. There is no sense in which DMD is not available to the masses.

According to this page
there are only distro packages for Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch. If that's accurate, there really is no sense in which GDC is more available than DMD.