On 11/14/2016 01:04 PM, fdjfgj wrote:
On Monday, 14 November 2016 at 16:59:56 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 11/14/2016 08:44 AM, Patrick Schluter wrote:

have their windows system partition on a smallish SSD.

Well, in all honestly, that IS going to cause problems regardless. The
larger SSDs are fine (enough) for a phone, but for a PC that's used
for anything more than the average joe's web/email/word combo, SSDs
are still far too small.

I still have an "old fashioned" HDD-only in my PC (a laptop):
dirt-cheap: <$100 for 1TB (try to find an SSD that remotely compares),
and the ONLY time I ever have speed issues in either Win or Lin is
when I'm running far too much crap and start hitting virtual memory
swapping (or when some badly coded program soaks up all the CPU
recourses, but SSDs cant help with that anyway).

In 2005 a 250Gb magnetic HDD costed the same as nowadays 250Gb SSD.

Eh? 2005 has nothing to do with anything.

In 2016, magnetic HDDs are not purchased at 2005 prices.

In 2016, a 250GB magnetic HDD costs vastly less than a 250GB SSD.

In 2016, you can even get a 1TB HDD for less than a 250GB SSD. Even in 2.5".

In 2016, 250GB is quite small as far as general-purpose PC storage goes.

In 2016, I picked up a 5TB USB3 HDD drive for HALF the price of a 1TB SSD.

But most importantly:

In what alternate 2016 reality is a 250GB drive insufficient to be able to spare 3Gb to install a core dev tool?