On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 04:59:01 UTC, ketmar wrote:
On Monday, 5 December 2016 at 04:41:55 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
Hi Guys,
What is your opinion, should we warn if we unambiguously detect something that is clearly unwanted ?

int fn(int y)
{
  int x = void;
  ++x;
  return x+y;
}

This requires data-flow analysis (The same kind that tells you if you are skipping a statement) And will slow down compilation a little if we enable such a warning.

no need to. if i explicitly wrote `=void` there, i know what i am doing. maybe i want that UB. or something. and i tried to tell the compiler STFU. please, don't make it harder, and don't force me to invent another ways to say STFU.

Even if you want that ub.
A warning will not halt the compilation.