On Wednesday, 5 April 2017 at 12:14:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 4/4/17 12:26 AM, Nick B wrote:
Can one assume that Walter is thinking about deadalnix's detailed proposal above, and that he will give a formal response, once he has given it serious thought, and discussed it with Andrei ?

As a matter of procedure no, a forum post will not be followed by a formal response. The DIP process ensures a formal response.

The post is far from what one would call a proposal, let alone a detailed one. It is a sketch of an idea that addresses a complex matter without minding a large number of details. That's totally fine; the whole discussion opener was also informal and lacking details. It's just that we can't work on someone else's vague idea.

I encourage anyone interested in pursuing this idea to work on a DIP.

Thanks,

Andrei

In fairness, the DIP process is painfully slow (which I can suppose can be seen as either a good thing or a bad thing). DIP1003[0] has yet to be commented on, despite it being a simple and easily understandable change. Yes, during that time Dicebot quit as DIP manager, but when he quit this DIP was already over the deadline for comment by a couple weeks.

I went in not expecting a lot in terms of promptness and with the understanding that it was such a trivial and low-priority change that a prompt result was not really necessary (and thus I was willing to wait patiently), and yet I admit that in spite of all my goodwill I was frustrated by the lack of response after over 2 months.

My point is that I completely understand why someone would not want to bother going through the DIP process.

1. https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1003.md