On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 18:13:11 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
I have only the data that compiling and linking a GtkD application against a shared library is a lot shorter than against a static library.

Sure, but that might be easily fixed, and if you really want to use shared libraries, you can always make Dub create/use a library in a local directory (and set the rpath appropriately, …). I don't quite see how any of this is related to the topic at hand (distro packaging).

I'd indeed be interested in some data on the linking times, though. Be sure to test with ld.gold as well, if you are not using it already.

 — David