On Saturday, 17 June 2017 at 04:32:41 UTC, Liam McGillivray wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 at 12:08:16 UTC, Mike wrote:
> THINGS TO DROP
* C++ interoperabiliy
Walter's right: memory safety is going to kill C and C++ will go with it. Don't waste time on this; it's not going to matter in 10 or 20 years.
Thank you for making a list to give people an idea of what D3 could be, but I definitely don't support less interoperability with C++. I want D3 to have a better argument to transition from C++ than D2 has. With all the C++ API's out there, making D incompatible would be a ginormous deal-breaker for a ridiculous number of projects. D3 should seek to be worth the transition from C++.

Seems like there is a split right down the middle. The problem is of course that going down the middle is neither satisfactory nor innovative.

I agree with you, but I think the C++ compatibility is a lost game and increasingly so without aligning the core semantics. C++ is changing too...