On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 02:23:48 UTC, safety0ff wrote:
On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 22:35:42 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
My take on D's GC problem, also spoiler - I'm going to build a new one soonish.

http://olshansky.me/gc/runtime/dlang/2017/06/14/inside-d-gc.html

---
Dmitry Olshansky

Good overview, however:
the binary search pool lookup is used because it naturally supports variable sized pools. IMHO, simply concluding "A hash table could have saved quite a few cycles." glosses over the issue of handling variable sizes.

Pools are granular to 256kb irc, so the trick is to keep them 256kb aligned in memory. Then a map from 256kb chunks to pools is easily created.

---
Dmitry Olshansky