On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 15:06 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> I'm convinced a big part of that is because DUB is ubiquitous and
> incredibly helpful in the D world for package management, but plays
> very
> poorly with any build system that isn't DUB's internal one.

Either Dub needs to be made as good as Cargo is for Rust, so no-one
bothers to use any other build system, or Dub needs to be made a little
more supportive of non-Dub build frameworks.

I could go with the former, but no-one appears to be doing anything
about it.

For the moment I am trying to get SCons to play nicely with Dub as a
package manager, and it sucks, at least using it as a subprocess to get
and build packages.

I am tempted to see if something analogous can be done in Meson.

The status quo is not good, and as they say, something needs to be
done.

> I've blown enormous amounts of time trying to get my projects (that
> need
> DUB for dependencies) to use alternate buildsystems without DUB
> getting
> in the way, and never really succeeded.

SCons + Dub is working fine for me for unit-threaded, but that is about
as far as I have dared go so far.

[…]

In many ways I would love to simply give up making SCons work with Dub
because Dub is as good for D/C/C++ systems as Cargo is for Rust, but it
isn't. :-(

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net