On Friday, 13 October 2017 at 06:58:10 UTC, Peter R wrote:
If I, as a new user, don't have a solid first impression, I'd have no expectation that the rest of the D ecosystem is polished, and I would return to C++

But the D 'ecosystem' is *not* polished. It's an evolving work in progress, mostly driven by volunteers, and little or no commercial backing.

Even the language and its library are evolving...(although both are pretty shiny already). Also mostly driven by volunteers.

Information is scarce....I can find at most, 1/2 a dozen or so books on the D language. It too is a work in progress..

Until a month ago, I had never heard of D (and I have 20+ year in the I.T sector).

Compare D to other established langauges...and your gunna be disappointed (in some areas more than others, and some not so much).

New users approaching D, (whether they are experienced developers or not) need to have the right expectations to begin with. I think that is where work needs to go - managing expectations.

D is like playing footy on the playground....you just never know what's going to happen. But it should be fun nonetheless. D is not like playing footy in the AFL (hey..I'm from Australia).. i.e. D is not in the big league yet, and does not have all the stuff needed to play in the big league - rules and regulations, support teams, corporate backing, advertisement, millions of fans, etc....etc....

D needs a hero ( a kinda 'Borland' for 21st century) - to take up the mantle...but the business case still needs to be worked out...as it's not all that clear what it might be at the moment...

until then, it's open-source/volunteer driven..and you need to set your expectations accordingly.