On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 12:25:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
I don't think C# force you to use object oriented modelling? Clearly the GC and the standard library skews what you end up doing.

Perhaps. Well, contrasted to .Net and JVM standard libraries then?

Ironically there is a plethora of ways to do the same thing in Python, but I guess the StackOverflow discussions tends to be about what the proper way is.

So discussions about idiomatic Python is mostly cultural and not so much the language itself. There is also quite a bit of discussion about what is idiomatic D in these forums. So not all that different.

Might be, I have used python hardly at all so can't be sure.

C++ and Forth are examples of languages which share that philosophy of D.

I don't see how Forth is comparable. Forth is essentially a minimalistic VM. So I think Lisp would be a better pairing for Forth. Both are at the other side of the spectrum of C++/D.

In most regards they are very different, yes. But the similarity is that like C++/D, Forth is designed with many different programming styles in mind, instead of paving way primarily for one certain way of working. Probably Lisp too but I know too little of it to confirm.

I don't think there is much of a clear philosophy behind D:

C++ with GC, a slightly less verbose syntax, minus templating and some other things, then a bit of Java/C#, and finally a slightly different version of templating added. The standard library borrows conceptually from C++ and Python.

How is the philosophy different from C++, except the GC which is a library feature in C++? The core language design and the production backend is essentially the same. D doesn't have enough libraries to distinguish itself culturally from the C-family either, so…

Of course D is very close philosophically to C++, that's what gave it the name in the first place! The main difference is that there's no burden of backwards compatibilty with C/C++, and as proven it's enough of difference for many.