On Sunday, 22 October 2017 at 02:48:57 UTC, Joakim wrote:
I just read the following two week-old comment on the ldc issue tracker, when someone tried to run D on Alpine linux:

"For now everything works(?) but I think the process could be improved.. Would be really cool to have LDC easily building alpine containers + static D binaries for microservice and tooling development. I'm pretty tired of reading Go code :)"
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/2341#issuecomment-334626550

It strikes me that microservices are a great way for new programming languages like D to get tried and gain some uptake, but that D might not be that easy to deploy to that scenario yet.

So this is a question for those deploying microservices, as I'm not in that field, what can the D devs do to make it as easy as possible to get D microservices up and running, make some Docker and Alpine containers with ldc/dub/vibe.d preinstalled publicly available? What else, what kinds of libraries do you normally use?

This is a niche that D and all newer languages should target. How do we do it?

We're going a bit in that direction, although it's a different thing in our kind of industry from a web company - we have fewer services and many fewer requests, but latency matters more for example. I was thinking we might use Go for some services that integrate and monitor things, but we could also use D.

https://jobs.github.com/positions/8e98eac8-b504-11e7-9da8-0737a3dcef18

From the comment:
"Would be really cool to have LDC easily building alpine containers + static D binaries"

How can we generate a static binary ? I asked about this before, and the response was that it's a bad idea because of security vulns and so on. True if you are running on a conventional Linux host. But on the other hand, it's not that great if when the system phobos is upgraded all the D binaries break. You can write a script using rdmd or dub scripting feature, but that doesn't work for more complex programs.

And on the other hand, for deployment, it's much easier to copy over one binary. (In a sense it's funny that the question was asked in the context of containers, because containers are kind of an alternative to having a single binary). When you're properly set-up of course it doesn't matter, but when you're moving towards that, a single binary is much easier.

I guess I can figure out the answer to this question easily enough, but I think giving people the option might help with adoption of D for micro services. For example it's really just not that fun to make an AWS Lambda using D - being able to easily build a static binary would make the process much more pleasant.

I wrote this up a while back:
http://awslambda-d.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

"Since dmd links phobos dynamically on linux, and phobos/druntime aren't installed on the AWS lambda server, we will need to upload these to the servers and tell the application where to find them. (I should really have appended to LD_LIBRARY_PATH as I did with PATH).

Now one can follow the regular instructions for AWS Lambda: create a .zip file with the D binary, the JS file, and the following libraries (update version numbers as appropriate):

libcrypto.so.1.0.0
libphobos2.so.0.67
libevent-2.0.so.5
libssl.so.1.0.0
"

Alpine is nice - would be good to have this as a standard target in time.

Laeeth.