On Sunday, 24 December 2017 at 21:27:12 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sun, 2017-12-24 at 16:58 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d wrote:
Programming languages are tools for solving problems, and people face different problems and they also have different capabilities and tastes, which means even for people facing identical problems, the right tool for the job may not be the same because they aren't identical as groups and as individuals.

Thinking of a programming language as a domain specific language for solving problems in a domain helps with this. Along with can a language enable creation of a DSL for solving my problems. Creating functions is creating a DSL in any language.

That's an extremely odd way to conceive of D, IMO, like conceiving of a banana as being like an apple, only it tastes like a banana and has a different shape.

If a general purpose programming language is to be conceived of as a domain specific language, what's the difference between a true domain specific language and a regular programming language?

That's really the whole point about D. It's an era where people start out assuming that using the right tool for the job means that one tool can't do two different kinds of job well. But, as Walter has said elsewhere I think, in some cases that's because the tools people are used to using are limited, whereas in fact there's no need for that - just use one tool that's good at both. It's going to be a struggle to recognise such a tool if you start with the presumption it cannot exist. And talking about languages as identical with DSLs only encourages this misconception, I think.

How does prestige develop? From tangible consequences produced by able and virtuous people acting together to create something. There's a long lead time on that one, but it's not something that can be rushed.

And sales and marketing. Arguably C was the last language that got traction based solely on technical benefit and tribalism. All other languages with traction since have had serious marketing behind them.

I don't think I suggested that tribalism in the everyday sense of the word is favourable to the adoption of a language. But that aside, C is quite a big example, and I don't see that it has no relevance to the present, even though conditions are of course different. Was Python adopted because of a big marketing budget? If so, I didn't know that - who paid for it? How about R?

I think you also need to consider consequences of beliefs if you are wrong and the choices available in circumstances (unless you can figure out how to create new choices). You write as if adoption is flatlining. It isn't - it's growing at a healthy pace, as best I can see. Human perception doesn't deal very well with compound growth. It's disappointing for a long time, and all of a sudden it's surprising.

It's by far best at this point to get across successful stories about the adoption of D to people who are already receptive to them because they have some problems that D might help with than to try to get people to listen to you who have no interest in listening. Persuasion works when people are ready to move towards you. You can't compel that.