On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 11:27:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

However, in the end, the GStreamer core people know C, C++ a bit, D not at all. I suspect even if the choice had been Rust or D, Rust would have been chosen because it has no GC and D is a GC language.

That is a little misleading. It was always the intention of Rust designers to allow userd to tie into a garbage collector - like spidermonkey.

It was never designed to be a language that can't make use of GC.

D has gc by default instead. But it's flexible enough to use RAII, and you can customise GC a lot....

So Gstreamer people could have easily worked with D, and I don't believe D's GC implementation would have been a show stopper for them.