On 1/26/18 5:50 PM, Dgame wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:13:51 UTC, Benny wrote:
On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:08:17 UTC, Benny wrote:
* Rust: Jetbrain IntelliJ + Rust plugin.
It looks like it has become a official supported plugin by Jetbrain. Works perfectly out of the box. Impressive results and issue hinting.

https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2017/08/04/official-support-for-open-source-rust-plugin-for-intellij-idea-clion-and-other-jetbrains-ides/

Yep, i was right. Its now a official support plugin by Jetbrain.

And no offense but i doubt it has anything to do with Mozilla officially backing Rust but more a sign of popularity. Just as how Go got its own Editor by Jetbrain.

My impression so far is that most of the D users love to program in a tiny editor without the features which modern IDE's gives you. That's impressive, but outdated and even a bit silly if the project is bigger. In any company I've been so far we've used IDE's, because their feature-set and tools take so much work away from you - I don't want to miss them anymore. Nowadays, the majority of programmers who are willing to try new/others programming languages, think so too. I'm somewhat sure that this unneccessary hurdle is one of D's biggest mistakes.

As an IDE junkie I've noticed this correlation in the past too. I wonder which direction the causation runs--does D tend to appeal to the no-IDE crowd, or do IDE-prefering people abandon D since there hasn't been great IDEs support?

Regardless I'm very pleased by the recent trends. The vs-code plugins are good and getting better, and DMD as a library should enable simpler and more complete language support in any IDE. I believe we're getting closer to the point where IDE junkies like me won't feel somewhat short-changed, and that's impressive for a community-driven language like D.