On Saturday, February 17, 2018 13:52:06 Danni Coy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:26 PM, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d <
>
> digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> > On 13/02/2018 10:54 PM, Danni Coy wrote:
> >> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:20 AM, Ivan Trombley via Digitalmars-d <
> >>
> >> digitalmars-d@puremagic.com <mailto:digitalmars-d@puremagic.com>>
wrote:
> >>     I wanted to do some experimentation with Vulkan using D. None of
> >>     the
> >>     projects that I found (derelict-vulkan, d-vulkan and erupted) work.
> >>
> >>     Are there D bindings to Vulkan that actually work?
> >>
> >> strictly speaking you don't need a binding, you can access C code
> >> directly as long as you write compatible header definitions for the
> >> parts
> >> of vulkan you are actually using in your code.
> >
> > Which is then called a binding ;)
>
> The programmers I work with like to differentiate between situations where
> you can call code directly and when you have to do stuff like marshalling
> to get code in one language to talk to code in another language so I tend
> not to think of writing header definitions as making bindings.

Well, in D-speak, C header definitions rewritten as D so that D can call the
C functions are exactly what bindings are, whereas if bindings are wrapped
in D code to make them more D-like, those are called wrappers. I don't know
that there's a specific term for a case where marshalling is involved.

- Jonathan M Davis