On Monday, 12 March 2018 at 01:10:41 UTC, Richard wrote:

There's a couple of outstanding things at the moment though

The first is the use of BetterC, although from what I can tell DMD now has support for a minimal runtime feature as part of 2.079.0
so hopefully when this makes it's way into LDC I can then make use of it for an Arm MCU for creating class's without the full runtime.

I'm hoping for that to land soon as well. The minimal runtime features and -betterC do have some overlap, but there are some specific things -betterC does that the minimal runtime doesn't do. See https://dlang.org/spec/betterc.html. At least one such feature is "assert failures are directed to the C runtime library".

The minimal runtime has uses for those wishing to port the druntime to a new platform or architecture and do so incrementally. It's also useful for those that may choose to implement minimal subset of runtime features or provide an alternate implementation of a runtime feature for their application. This is especially useful in the embedded domain where there is typically one process running, and you know upfront what features you will need or not need; and you won't have to do the work of porting everything just to get a build.

-betterC, on the other hand, is somewhat of a blunt instrument, and removes certain features of the runtime wholesale.

With the minimal runtime features, you will be able to create a betterC-like application by simply avoiding features that you haven not implemented in your port of the runtime. That wasn't possible prior to 2.079.0.

I was wondering if there are any other ways that are known about for translating C++ into D, or accessing C++ libraries.

I'm sorry I don't know of any reliable tool that can create bindings to C++ libraries automatically.