On Friday, 16 March 2018 at 22:43:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
Most interesting! I'm not kidding. Is it 'wow it's from the US', or something else? Genuine question. I ain't asking for fun. There's more to business and technology than meets the eye.

I don't know about compilers specifically, but the big distributors in Europe charged some hefty margins on their imports. So pricing in US was often much lower than here...

So smaller competitors with ads in national hobbyist computing mags had a relatively easy marketing channel.