On Saturday, 17 March 2018 at 09:31:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
I don't know about compilers specifically, but the big distributors in Europe charged some hefty margins on their imports. So pricing in US was often much lower than here...

When I think of it, the distributors probably only cared about corporate customers for software development (and my impression is that distributors often didn't know much about computers and software anyway). Since distributors didn't know better they hired young computer enthusiasts to work for them, which cracked the software protections and spread it among their friends before the software hit the stores...

So European computer enthusiasts had easy access to bootleg copies of common software. Copying was rampant for cultural reasons, which included common fair use clauses that allowed copying between individuals and friends. By rampant, I mean people copied >90% of the software they used.

I knew of more people that bought "alternative dev tooling" (at reasonable pricing) than the offerings from big players (which often would cost more than the computer hardware, and as a recurring cost...). There was also an attitude that "if the price is unreasonable high then it is perfectly reasonable and moral to distribute bootleg copies of it".