On Wednesday, 4 April 2018 at 05:31:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hi folks, I was thinking of the following.

To keep the PR queue trim and in good shape, we'd need at least one full-time engineer minding it. I've done that occasionally, and the queue size got shorter, but I couldn't do much else during that time.

I was thinking, we can't afford a full-time engineer, and even if we did, we'd probably have other important matters for that engineer as well. However, what we can afford - and indeed already benefit from - is a quantum of time from each of many volunteers. By organizing that time better we may be able to get more output. Here's what I'm thinking.

Let's define a "PR duty" role that is one week long for each of a pool of volunteers. During that week, the person on PR duty focuses on minding github queues - merge trivial PRs, ping authors of old PRs, email decision makers for specific items in PRs, etc. Then the week ends and the role is handed off to the next person in the pool.

(...)

Thanks,

Andrei

Maybe one idea would be to get university people interested in D. A lot of work on the Scala compiler and eco system is done by students at the technical university of Lausanne where Martin Odersky (the creator of Scala) is teaching. They do work on it in their master or PhD thesis or just help on the development of tools and libraries. The EPFL is well endowed with money and pays as long as the work being done is in some way research oriented (and as long as Scala is a big thing in the IT world).

So the idea would be to get some university professors interested in D. Then you have people working on D and its eco system that are paid by the university or do the work for their thesis. I would say that D is ideal for teaching programming being a high-level language with both manual memory management and a GC. It's really a win-win situation for D and teaching institutions. So I would propose to have a look at universities/academia as a new target to promote D. Students one day finish their studies and then take the language with them from which they learned a lot and know very well ... ;-).