On 2018-04-10 08:47, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Regardless, I think that it's clear that in order to do anything with
thread-local pools, we'd have to lock down the type system even further to
disallow casts to or from shared or immutable, and that would really be a
big problem given the inherent restrictions on those types and how shared is
intended to be used.

Apple's GC for Objective-C (before it had ARC) was using thread-local pools. I wonder how they manged to do that in a language that doesn't have a type system that differentiates between TLS and shared memory.

--
/Jacob Carlborg