On Thursday, 12 April 2018 at 20:39:33 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
Currently phobos is going through a transition where DIP 1000 is being enabled. This presents a unique problem because when DIP 1000 is enabled, it will cause certain functions to be mangled differently. This means that if a module in phobos was compiled with DIP 1000 enabled and you don't enable it when compiling your application, you can end up with cryptic linker errors that are difficult to root cause.

Well if DIP1000 isn't on by default I don't think Phobos should be compiled with it.

I think that the version issue is not unique to D and would be good to address, but I don't see the compiler reading the object file to determine how it should built the import files.