On Saturday, 5 May 2018 at 07:37:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/4/2018 4:35 AM, Sjoerd Nijboer wrote:
Since D seems to be a language that supports a lot of programming
paradigms very well, wouldn't it be beneficial to learn people
declarative programming using D for a little and from there expose them to other programming styles in thesame language to lower the barrier of
entry?

I agree that D being a multi-paradigm language makes it ideal as a vehicle for teaching various paradigms. New paradigms can be taught without the diversion of having to start over learning a new language.

Walter,

I am considering teaching the programming languages course again in Spring but this time simply using D.

Would you be willing to provide me with some advise in the process of converting the one that I had put together based on Dan Grossman's course at UW and which used SML and Python in addition to D. (Dan uses SML, Racket and Ruby). I would like to know if I can purely use D, or at least minimize the use of the two other languages without sacrificing the insights provided by those two languages.

Your response indicates that you have a very positive outlook on such a transition and I could help knowing that I am not compromising on the quality of the student's learning experience.

--
Sameer