On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 at 14:33:57 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/12/18 9:04 AM, Jacob Shtokolov wrote:
[...]

I'll respond to say that I don't know a lot of people who use signals and slots. It's a very old part of Phobos, and I think a lot of people here aren't familiar with it.

[...]

I've never heard of this functionality. Looking it up, it's not used anywhere in druntime, only from phobos, and only from this std.signals implementation (literally a search through all code finds the function rt_attachDisposeEvent in 2 places -- the definition, and the one usage in std.signals).

Looking at the implementation, it depends on having an Object with a Monitor, as the event is stored in the monitor. So you couldn't attach it to any specific piece of memory, it HAS to be an Object.

But like I said, it's not used pretty much anywhere. So I think nobody would miss it if you ripped it out and made it better :)

feel free to open a bug report and/or PR and get some more discussion going.

-Steve

Thank you Steve!

Then I'll try to fire a bug report and propose my own solution to this problem. Probably there is no need to track down the non-object dispose events.

Good to hear that not so many people are affected by this 😏