On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 22:04:39 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
I think the mental model of someone coming from a dynamic language would be as if bar is dynamically re-compiled when the foo(int x) is entered.

Right. Hopefully there aren't too many weird cases once that is generalized to other corners of the language. I also never used REPLs for major development, only for debugging and minor tests, so I don't have experience with that style of development where you code everything in the REPL and then save the whole state, which makes it harder for me to evaluate how important certain REPL features are.