On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 04:49:15 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 August 2018 at 04:23:52 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

The reality of the matter is that the DIP system is a formal way to propose language changes in order to convince Walter and Andrei that those changes should be implemented, whereas if Walter or Andrei writes the DIP, they're already convinced. This isn't a democracy. Walter is the BDFL, and it's his call. So, I really don't think that it's hypocritical

Walter and Andrei need to have their ideas vetted by the community, not in an effort to convince anyone, but for quality assurance, to ensure they're not overlooking something.

It is hypocritical an arrogant to believe that only our ideas have flaws and require scrutiny.

The formal DIP process was put in place after DIP1000. I would even daresay that the process was put in place because of the issue with DIP1000 (the rigorously checked DIP's are all >1000 for that reason).