On Friday, 24 August 2018 at 13:34:57 UTC, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
On 24/08/18 13:43, nkm1 wrote:

I think Walter was talking more about "scope (failure) destroy(this)" at the top of all your structs? I don't know if it has some gotchas, though (as I don't use RAII in D...).

No, unlike what I suggest, that doesn't work without carefully reviewing every single place you put it to see whether the constructor actually supports destructing a partially constructed object.

Shachar

So I guess you're saying you also use "= void" as default initializer for some things. Otherwise, it's already a requirement that all default-initialized things should be destructible... Yeah, I do agree that these kinds of things are not very well supported by D. I do not agree that it means the language is doomed (from a techincal standpoint, at least). Moving in a more Java-esque direction ("Fast like C++ but with good GC" (so, in reality, slower than C++ but faster than JVM)) would be a reasonable strategy for D. Seems like it's not going to happen, though.