On Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 12:24:49 UTC, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
If memory serves me right, hieroglyphs actually represent consonants (vowels are implicit), and as such, are most definitely "characters".

Egyptian hieroglyphics uses logographs (symbols representing whole words, which might be multiple syllables), letters, and determinants (which don't represent any word but disambiguate the surrounding words).

Looking things up serves me better than memory, usually.

The only language I can think of, off the top of my head, where words have distinct signs is sign language.

Logographic writing systems. There is one logographic writing system still in common use, and it's the standard writing system for Chinese and Japanese. That's about 1.4 billion people. It was used in Korea until hangul became popularized.

Unicode also aims to support writing systems that aren't used anymore. That means Mayan, cuneiform (several variants), Egyptian hieroglyphics and demotic script, several extinct variants on the Chinese writing system, and Luwian.

Sign languages generally don't have writing systems. They're also not generally related to any ambient spoken languages (for instance, American Sign Language is derived from French Sign Language), so if you speak sign language and can write, you're bilingual. Anyway, without writing systems, sign languages are irrelevant to Unicode.