On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 22:56:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 10:13:37PM +0000, Stefan Koch via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 21:55:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> But nobody will be building a fusion engine out of race > conditions anytime in the foreseeable future. :-D
[...]

It's still valid though.

If something might be used by someone else it's better not to touch it, unless one has confirmation it is not used by someone else.

This is what shared has to enforce.

Yes. But how can the compiler statically verify this? Because if it cannot be statically verified, then somewhere along the line we have to trust the programmer. Ergo, it's programming by convention, and we all know how effective that is.

[.... or it will lead] to an overly-restrictive conservative type system that nobody will use.

I'd rather wear 5 virtual straight-jackets than spending the rest of my life trying to observe invisble races, and wearing a real one.

Stefan