On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 22:56:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
If something might be used by someone else it's better not to touch it, unless one has confirmation it is not used by someone else.

This is what shared has to enforce.

Yes. But how can the compiler statically verify this? Because if it cannot be statically verified, then somewhere along the line we have to trust the programmer. Ergo, it's programming by convention, and we all know how effective that is.

and that is exactly what shared is currently doing. Adding the rw restriction at least adds a protection for inadvertantly changing a shared object, a thing that doesn't exist now.

What cracks me up with Manu's proposal is that it is its simplicity and lack of ambition that is criticized the most. shared is a clusterfuck, according to what I gathered from the forum, I never had yet to use it in my code. Manu's idea makes it a little less of a clusterfuck, and people attack the idea because it doesn't solve all and everything that's wrong with shared. Funny.