--- jgorman01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been reading all the posts over the last
> several weeks about
> single tone/multi-tone, baud/bps, narrow/wide, etc.
> digital
> modes/modems.  The one thing I see missing is any
> discussion of the
> actual RADIO's being used in these systems.  Kind of
> funny in a
> digital RADIO forum populated by amateur RADIO
> operators. Perhaps I
> am just too impatient and the discussions will
> eventually
> end up discussing the radios being used.

At least I am assuming a COTS radio, 300 to 2700 Hz
audio bandwidth. That's what I have.

> Some of my observations.
>
> Lots of discussions about specifications for
> different modems and
> their operation.  I haven't seen any discussion
> about the
> corresponding specifications of the radios they are
> connected to.
> Just wonder how ham radio transceiver audio chains,
> mixers, filters,
> and RF chains, both transmit and receive, compare to
> the mil spec
> transceivers used with mil spec modems?
>
> Audio purists spend thousands of dollars on
> pink/white noise
> generators, equalizers, audio amps, speakers, etc.
> to insure flat
> are allowed in ham
> radio audio chains.

So far....10%....- 20 dB at worst case. Should be
better for complex modulation formats.

> Are there amplitude/frequency
> variances
> introduced in the preamps and amps?  Are there
> phase/frequency
> variations introduced in the mixers, amps, and
> filters?  Do these
> have any effect on trying to cram high speed modem
> tones through the
> system?  I suspect that there can be as much or more
> effects due to
> these variables as propagation introduces.

If you stay near the center of the passband and shy
away from the slopes, shouldn't create serious
problems

> Has anyone measured the difference between a $50,000
> Harris HF
> tranceiver designed for this purpose and a $500 Icom
> tranceiver to
> see if the throughput is better?

Maybe the performance difference does not justify the
price difference...makes me remember the $500
hammer...

> Perhaps I'm just an old fogey who still enjoys
> messing with and
> building radios and am not competent enough in the
> digital modes to
> add much to this discussion.  However, I can assure
> you building a
> mic preamp or a receive audio amp that has a flat
> amplitude response
> over 300 Hz to 3500 Hz is no mean feat let alone the
> phase
> differences that can be introduced by using heavy
> feedback to
> acheive this response.  I can also tell you from
> first hand
> experience that building a crystal filter without
> amplitude/phase
> variances is very difficult.

Well, the problem in the past has been more of
inapropiate modulation and coding formats rather than
radio insufficiencies, in general.

> I just wonder if some of this shouldn't also be
> discussed along with
> the "digital" side of the conversation.  A system
> must have all of
> its individual components discussed and designed.
> The RADIO is a
> very important part of this.

Of course. Certainly my old HRO or a Viking Valiant is
insufficient for this. It is generally accepted that
it takes a synthesized radio to start with.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional