Some more info:

I found a paper that describes some tests done with 2.4Kbps and
1.2kbps voice transmission over HF paths.  It sounds like the 1.2
kbps gives useable voice quality.

I talked to a friend who had done some research for the military
back in the '80s on digital voice transmission over HF.  He said
that the state of the art back then was about 2.4Kbps but there was
a technique developed for decoding the speech into text with a very
limited vocabulary for tactical operations - around 300 words - and
sending the words with minimum coding required for the limited
vocabulary.  The transmitted data was then reconstructed into speech
at the receiving end.  The data rates achieved with this method were
as low as 300 bps.  There were a few problems with this method,
though.  First it introduced substantial delays due to the
processing required for the speech recognition.  Second, the Aussies
got very upset when their speech came out the other end of the link
with a midwestern accent. :)  Finally, when attempts were made to
apply this method to an application for the Marines for fire control
communications, the Marines were unable to come up with a 300 word
vocabularly that didn't contain profanity or obscenities so the
project was killed.

Seriously, long distance HF propagation imposes some very
challenging problems with long fades that can only be overcome with
long interleaving of the data which creates long delays in the
transmission.  I will continue to study the issue and report any
interesting ideas that show promise for weak signal digitzed voice
communications.

Ed

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Hekman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Tony <DXDX@> wrote:
> >
> > Ed wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any communications engineers in this group that can
> > > give us some idea whether a useable quality digitized voice
can
> be
> > > sent over a 2.5 KHz wide HF channel with SNR comparable to or
> less > than
> > > what is required for analog voice?
> >
> > I was thinking about this today Ed. I'd sacrifice a bit of voice
> qaulity for
> > better SNR performance.
> >
> > WinDRM defaults to the MELP codec and I was wondering if the
SPEEX
> or LP-10
> > offer an improvement in SNR performance?
> >
> > Tony KT2Q
>
> Tony,
>
> The key to better weak signal performance will be primarily in how
> the data is sent over the air.  Observing the signal for digital
> SSTV on 20M has been very interesting.  Often a hole in the
spectrum
> can be observed as it moves across the spectrum.  It takes out
about
> 20% of the spectrum and has a time span at one frequency of around
> second.  The packaging of the data must be done with enough
> redundancy spread throughout the spectrum so it can be recovered
in
> spite of these spectrum holes.  On 80M atmospheric noise tends to
> have short impulses that take out the entire signal for much
shorter
> periods of time - much less than a second.  To mitigate this, the
> data redundancy must be spread over time so the data can be
> recovered in spite of a complete loss of signal for a few
> milliseconds.
>
> Of course adding redundancy means reducing the data rate for the
> encoded voice data.  This would probably require some adjustments
> the voice coding algorithm.  With cellular signals, although the
> maximum data rate may be 8K bps, the effective rate is usually
less
> than 1/2 that due to the fact that speech is not a constant
signal -
> there are holes in it for short periods of time during which no
data
> needs to be sent.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional