I suspect if there was one, wide bandwidth, 10 kHz channel on each ham
band for ALL high speed data, that would be accepted by most if not
all hams.  This is certainly less than what is currently "designated"
by the different modes/protocols like winlink/pactor 3, wide olivia,
ALE, etc.

Perhaps you should file a petition with the FCC that proposes one wide
bandwidth 10 kHz channel on each band that operates in the fashion you
describe and restricts all other modes on all other frequencies to 500
Hz bandwidth or less.  I'll bet there wouldn't be many negative comments.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John Champa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Using HSMM networked radio techniques many operators can have separate,
> individual, IM exchanges keyboard-to-keyboard on the same frequency,
at the
> same time.
>
> This is similar to trunked digital repeaters in which many
individuals can
> have separate DV QSOs on the same frequency pair at the same time.
>
> So when you transmit on this 10kHz wide HF channel, from your
perspective
> you are in a clear one-to-one QSO with another Ham, sort of like
using PSK
> without the QRM, except that your message is buffered and then
transmitted
> all at once in very short and fast burst. Thus my anology to IM.
>
> However, you are actully transmitting to a HSMM radio access point (AP)
> along with hundreds of other Hams at the same time and on the same
10 kHz
> channel.  So, for example, if you have a beam, all stations would
point to
> the HF AP instead of at each other.  If you are using a non-directional
> antenna, then you would simply look for an AP in the area of the
world you
> wish to work.
> Simple.
>

> >From: "jgorman01" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [digitalradio] 3kHz or 500Hz Re: Updates on effect of FCC R&O
> >Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:14:14 -0000
> >
> >You need to explain this further.  Just making the statement that IM
> >is a better analogy just doesn't provide any information as to how it
> >applies to sharing of RF frequencies, at least not to me.  You might
> >help me out by elucidating a little on just what shared resource with
> >IM is applicable to HF data transmission.
> >
> >Jim
> >WA0LYK
> >
> >--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "John Champa" <k8ocl@> wrote:
> > >
> > > IM would be a better analogy than a party line.
> > >
> > > John - K8OCL

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: