Ok, here's a question I don't know how to answer since I don't have the
experience.

Let's say I am running my IC-746PRO on PSK31 and passing disaster relief
traffic
in and out of a disaster area.  If the station I am working on the other end
can't decode me and I am also having trouble decoding his signal due to a weak
signal, if I turn on my linear is that Ok or should I just give up and wait for
better conditions?  And my assumption is that the linear is properly tuned to
amplify a PSK31 signal and my antenna and band is optimum for the working path.

73,

Walt/K5YFW