I was wondering what the center frequency was and the
band width THAT'S WHY I ASKED IF IT WAS USABLE ON SSB.

I had 7 over 7 skeleton-slot beams made in England in
the late 1960 and I'm WELL aware of that array.

As for BIG WHEELS had them too a stacked pair and have
given thought to building another pair IF I don't
stack 2 more KU4AB's the ones i have now show a fairly
even pattern maby that's from stacking them.

It's interesting you went with the skeleton-slot
antenna we have a guy on our Tampa bay SSB net using
one with VERY good results.

Thanks Skip i'll be looking to see how you are using
the very good skeketon-slot antenna !

Bruce

--- Skip KH6TY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   First, let me say thanks to all who were
> interested enough in the protocol issue to offer
> suggestions
>
>   >Usable on SSB ... ?????? I have worked New York
> state from tampabay on USB with stacked ku4ab
> squailos.
>
>   I am not sure I understand Bruce's puzzlement. The
> subject antenna is derived from the
> horizontally-polarized "skeketon-slot" antenna of
> the early 50's, and is usable for SSB because it is
> horizontally polarized, which is the convention for
> CW and SSB weak signal activity on 2m.
>
>   Even a simple dipole can work long distances
> during E-skip or tropo conditions, but our task is
> to provide sufficient antenna gain for reliable
> flatland communications over 100 miles without
> having to rely on propagation as an assist. I also
> have stacked KU4AB square loops, which I started out
> with on 2m, but this antenna outperforms those by a
> significant margin of almost 5 db. In actual tests
> over 150 miles between my 13B2 to a single KU4AB
> loop mounted on a mobile truck compared to the
> skeleton-slot antenna mounted on the same truck, SSB
> signals that were not understandable on the KU4AB
> loop were 100% copiable on the skeleton-slot antenna
> on the same vehicle at the same height (no
> enhancement present).
>
>   In addition, if you make careful tests of the
> KU4AB loop, you will probably find that the pattern
> is not very omnidirectional, but has deep nulls and
> one of the nulls on mine measured almost 6 dB.
> Therefore, a bi-directional antenna like the
> skeleton-slot is statistically almost as
> "omnidirectional" as the KU4AB square loop. The "big
> wheel" would probably be a better choice than
> stacked KU4AB loops, and is used on many
> horizontally polarized beacons, but I have not
> actually tested one. My tests are made using a 2m
> beacon located at 30 feet, 8 airmiles away. My
> antenna design is just a simpler, and cheaper ($25),
> way to make a "skeleton-slot" antenna.
>
>   If you are interested, check out this excellent
> article on the skeleton-slot antenna:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/antennexarticles/qloop.htm

Got a little couch potato?