Bruce, the center frequency of my skeleton-slot design is 144.2 MHz, as it is
specifically intended for SSB operation. The Jaybeam was a commercial
implementation of the skeleton-slot which it used as a driver with rows of
reflectors and directors aligned with the top and bottom driven elements.
Jaybeam was sold to Parabeam and the ham radio line dropped, but Parabeam
appears to still manufacture TV antennas, using the skeleton-slot driver and
reflector, but a single row of directors.

Regarding the ARRL protocol request, I was as confused as everyone else!
However, the rumor is that ARRL has become disenchanted with Winlink (and their
proprietary modems and protocols) and that is why the request was made. It was
on that assumption that I submitted what I did.

One thing I feel Winlink got right is the idea of a bridge to the Internet,
which other hams can also provide in emergencies. However, instead of robot
forwarding, I proposed live operator forwarding instead so there is always
someone in the loop who can insure delivery to the final recipient, and also
listen to see if the frequency is clear before transmitting. It is about time
we got rid of all transmitting without listening first on each frequency used.
I think ARRL is finally getting this message!

Since Email, cell phone, telephone, and SMS are so pervasive today, I don't see
as great a need for message relay by radio like we used to do, but hams can
provide a message bridge to a person outside the disaster zone when nobody else
can.

73, Skip
KH6TY