Were the strident advocates of unattended operation to focus their
energy on adding effective busy detectors and some form of universal
QRL protocol to their unattended stations, they could rightfully
claim that unattended stations were no less polite than any human
operated station, and ought have full access to the amateur bands.
Its curious that those who complain about "technology jail" show so
little interest in engineering a key.

In contrast, peaceful coexistance among wideband digital modes and
narrower modes seems difficult even with everyone's best intentions.
How do you find 6 khz of unused spectrum within which to call CQ, and
how do you deal with the many different collisions that could occur
during the course of a QSO? It would make more sense to eliminate the
current automatic segments (once busy detectors and universal QRL are
widely deployed) and repurpose these segments to encourage
experimentation with wider modes.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "larry allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am sure, you have heard of the expression... 'give an inch take a
> mile'....
> Larry ve3fxq

BBS,