Roger- thanks for an excellent set of comments. With my rig (FT-920),
my best filtering is in the audio, which limits me. I do have a
narrower (INRAD) filter than the stock one and that helps. I can
dream about a tuneable RF filter, though, can't I?
Thanks- Bill-W4BSG

At 05:37 AM 10/1/2007, you wrote:
>Bill Aycock wrote:
> >  Frank- I think that there is MUCH confusion in our ranks on this
> >  subject. For instance, I set my rig to one frequency (usually
> >  14,070.00) and leave it there. I tune to different signals by moving
> >  the "marker" that shows the offset from the base frequency on the
> >  waterfall. The radio bandwidth is many times as wide as the signal
> >  width (for PSK31), and many signals can be accommodated in the
> >  passband. I have a tuneable Digital filter, and one of the most
> >  educational tricks is to shift the upper and lower audio limits of
> >  the filter, and watch the result on the waterfall One of the sources
> >  of the confusion is the ambiguity in the meaning of "best". I think
> >  that it is highly improbable that we can get a clear definition. Good
> >  luck- Bill-W4BSG
> >

>In my opinion there are two "classes" of radios for digital use, and
>which type you have dictates how you handle the center frequency
>question.  Older  "legacy" radios do not allow use of narrow crystal
>filters (originally intended for CW) in the digital modes.  The
>designers of these radios either ignored the digital modes altogether
>(requiring, for example, interfacing the radio through the mic
>connector) or simply didn't care much (my FT-900, an otherwise good
>radio, falls into this category).  These radios can be used for digital,
>but lack the most important QRM-fighting tools--the crystal and
>mechanical filters.  For these radios you can get away with tuning by
>leaving the VFO alone and simply "moving the marker" on the waterfall to
>the signal you wish to receive.  But you will miss receiving many, many
>signals if the band is at all crowded if you tune using this technique.
>
>Newer radios generally all allow use of the narrow crystal and
>mechanical filters in the digital modes and typically have a special
>"DIGI" mode setting for this purpose.  For radios of this type, it is
>*very important* to tune the station that you are working to the center
>frequency rather than simply moving the "marker" on the waterfall and
>not touching the VFO.  The reason is that otherwise you cannot use the
>crystal and mechanical filters of your rig effectively.  The optimal way
>to tune a station with a modern rig is to place the received signal in
>the center frequency passband, typically either 1000hz (most Yaesu
>radios, for example) or 1500 hz, and then utilize the rig's narrow
>filter.  For PSK31, literally the narrower the better -- for example, my
>Mark V's 250hz filters are super for PSK modes, and the 500hz filters
>are great for MFSK, 500hz Olivia, Domino, and MT63.  Doing this also
>makes the IF width and shift controls much more effective, and often you
>can use these controls to eliminate even a QRMing signal that is inside
>the narrow passband "corridor."
>
>Placing the received signal in the center frequency passband often makes
> [...]

We batter this Planet as if we had someplace else to go.