Whether you find an interesting signal by clicking on traces in a
panoramic tuning display or by rotating your tranceiver's tuning
dial, ideally you should then direct your digital mode application to
place the selected signal at a pre-specified optimal audio offset by
appropriately QSYing your transceiver.

Though different names are used to describe this function, most
digital mode applications have provided it for a long time.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "G. McFarlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So which is better, park the dial and move the audio
> center frequency (ACF) &ldquo;marker&rdquo;, or park the marker and
move
> the frequency dial? The former seems to be the standard method used
for
> PSK31 (when using programs like Digipan and PSK31), but the latter
seems
> to make more sense in the context of finding your peak output point
in the
> bandpass and leave your marker there for best decoding. Is it
partially
> dependant on the available filters and/or the age of the rig and its
> ability to handle digital modes?
>

> This latter concept seems to fly in the face of guidance
> (at least for modes like Olivia) provided on hflink.com and other
tutorial
> sites where the ACF marker is supposed to be set in accordance with
the
> tone pair/mode in use and the frequencies are voluntarily set based
on the
> &ldquo;sub-band&rdquo; (.65 or .50, etc). This suggests that both
the
> frequency and ACF should be fixed or channelized, regardless of rig
or
> bandpass &ldquo;sweet spots&rdquo;.
>

> From the context of making it easier to find signals and
> establish QSO&rsquo;s, this guidance makes sense, assuring (to some
> degree) that if your dial is set to a specific frequency and your
ACF