Rick,

I don't share your dream Rick, sorry that you did not like that
description, but I was trying to be polite about it. I am not here to
stop you or anyone from pursuing your dreams, go learn C++ or Ada and
start coding it up into your dream communications software. However I
am a realist and as I don't share your dream, I see it for what it
really is, a potential nightmare that would hinder communications
rather than actually improving it. I won't be pursuing your dream
with my valuable time available to me for code development unless a
dreamer manages to get such a requirement into the rules which govern
the Amateur Radio Service, which I don't see happening anytime soon,
if ever, as those in charge of the rules are also realists, at least
at present.

The issue you are talking about has been around since day one and
always will be in all forms of RF communications, the answer to the
issue is a level of tolerance, its that simple. Just because one
station of two ( regardless if one is unattended ) can hear a 3rd
station does not even mean that the 3rd station can hear either of
the two in question. As a matter of fact the 3rd station may be
hearing the that station which does not hear them rather than the
scenario that you paint, which means that it would be the attended
station that is offending the 3rd station and not the unattended
station in your scenario.

In actual operation the dream scenario that you are proposing be it
for Attended, Unattended or at all emitter  locations, which is what
I would want to see,  would not make the Amateur Radio Service
better, it would actually only hinder communications. You would still
have the same issue that you are complaining about happening as you
already realize from your comments, but just about as often if you
ask me and if the algorithms were ratcheted up to the point really
making a dent in the issue, then we are talking about holding off TX
whenever enough RF signal is detected in the pass band over x amount
of time that the algorithm qualifies as a true digital mode signal
from somewhere and unless the band in question is dead, that is
pretty much all the time. What will you will have then, almost no
communications taking place would be the result as there is almost
always a signal being heard from somewhere. Granted, you and many
others would love to see almost no communications taking place WRT
automated stations as you and others think they should not exist
except when you feel they are needed for an ECOM event only, well I
don't share that view, my view is just the opposite, automated
systems are very important to the Amateur Radio Service, as they
serve everyone and not just the individuals pursuit, they exist for
the benefit of all Radio Amateurs communications needs 24/7, which
means they can be relied upon by ECOM first responders in the middle
or the day or night when needed. I fully understand why you and
others would never want what you are preaching for in automated
system to be in the systems that you use for digital communications
and if it were to be why you would want the option to turn it off,
however an unattended station can not just decide to turn it off,
human intervention would be required and for the first ECOM
responders trying to use the system that intervention would likely
not come fast enough.

I had stated on this forum a while ago that the only way to make you
and others with your opinions of as you call it "on going problems"
with automated stations is to have all such stations in sub bands
where no other operations are conducted, that is the logical answer,
any such  "on going problems" would then related to only a remote
user of an automated system, which by their decision to do so means
they accept.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH