You've forgotten about the nasty reality of AGC and receiver overload.

For what you say to be true, one must disable the AGC and the receiver
must have the dynamic range/overload capability to not fold with the
wider bandwidth. If they did we would never need narrow filters. Many
rigs have no "off AGC" position.  The only other choice becomes
reducing the RF gain.  That eliminates the weak one you're trying to
hear.  A narrower filter can mitigate the AGC problem as well as
improving the S/N ratio.

The sound card digital filtering comes after all these stages in the
chain. It simply cannot make up for receiver generated junk.  The
dynamic range is not set by the sound card but by the weakest part of
the chain-- the RX.

A SDR radio where the sound card is the IF is a different story
entirely-- if the front end "sound card" and down converter circuitry
is linear and can handle strong sigs.  There are indeed sound cards
that claim a 120db dynamic range.

73 de Brian/K3KO