Rod, it is really great that you are a member of both the amateur radio
community and the public safety communications community ..

It does amaze me to see some members of the amateur radio community
start whining after public and/or private agencies officially recognize
***and support*** the value of the amateur radio service during disaster
response and recovery operations, and then especially start whining
when Winlink is being adopted as a redundant means for email
communications.

FWIW,  our City of San Jose Office of Emergency Services has had
HF/VHF/UHF radio communications equipment installed in both
the main and alternate EOC locations since the early 1990's and has
recently been upgraded with replacement equipment over the past
two years. It also includes HF Pactor and VHF/220 MHz packet
messaging as part of a County-wide digital messaging infrastructure.

The San Jose equipment includes not only amateur radio equipment,
but also commercial /\/\otorola, and Harris equipment that is used
in the amateur radio service by our ARES/RACES volunteers.

Elaine
--
Patricia (Elaine) Gibbons
Communications Services Manager