One use of split frequency operation is to spread a DX station's
callers out over a range of frequencies that does not include the DX
station's frequency. This enables the DX station to more rapidly work
callers (because they don't overlap each other as much, and because
the DX station's transmissions are clearly heard by all callers).

The width of the split depends on the bandwidth of the mode and the
size of the pileup. A typical CW split might be "up 1 to 2" (KHz);
whereas a typical RTTY split might be "up 3 to 6". Some DX stations
allow their pileups to become too wide, risking QRM to ongoing QSOs;
this is poor operating practic.

I have only participated in a few intentionally split PSK QSOs; as I
recall, the split was a few hundred Hz. Some PSK QSOs are
unintentionally split, meaning that the two stations are transmitting
and receiving on frequencies offset by a few hertz. This can be
caused by soundcard problems, or by incorrect use of AFC and Net when
establishing the QSO; most PSK applications enable you to compensate
for the former.

For a good introduction to PSK, Google

introduction to PSK

This will provide hyperlinks to several tutorials, including
some "here's how" videos on You Tube.

You'll find that PSK operators will warmly welcome you to their
ranks; while in QSO, don't hesitate to ask questions.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ