Alan,

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I am not sure why I did not have
it accessed previously, but I suspect it is because I only used the home
page for hflink.com assuming I would find everything. I went back right
now and tried every hyperlink and quite honestly am not able to find the
bbslink from the home page. Is this possible to put more prominently?

I know of at least one other ham who has also been trying to send
messages and he was able to finally get it to work, but it took quite a
trial. He indicated that there may be an issue with something about
putting a space in some part of the message (using Multipsk) but I did
not understand just where his reference was in the message sequence. So
hope to hear back on this.

As you may have seen today, just before I received your message I was
able to get a message through the NJ7C server with confirmation that it
went through. Having said that, it is now after 0200Z (9 pm),  and it
has not come through as e-mail as yet. Hopefully the syntax was correct
and I did use SMTP so that it would go to my mrfarm address here at
Misty Ridge Farm.

Now on the issue of being 100 Hz off frequency. This is not the sound
card which should be close to 1 Hz accuracy after calibration. One of
the unresolved problems with Multipsk, and I have brought this up a
number of times so I apologize to those who have heard this before, is
that at least with my ICOM 756 Pro 2, when in the "D" digital mode and
you bump the thumbwheel, with the mouse cursor in the program window,
you are dropped out of "D" mode and into regular mode. This also turns
on any mike compression, changes the tuning rate (faster) and shifts
frequency. Yeah, it is a real problem and in an emergency would be
unacceptable. But right now this is for test purposes.

Patrick has been unable to figure out the problem. In fact, between the
DXLab Commander program and Multipsk program, there was added code to
insure that the thumbwheel is not activated and yet it still causes this
effect. I have asked if others have this problem and have had no
response so perhaps I am the only one with this problem. I don't know. I
use Multipsk quite a lot since it has modes no other program offers,
particularly FAE which is a killer app for sound card digital ARQ, but
few are interested in ARQ modes from what I can tell.

When I use Ham Radio Deluxe with Digital Master 780, not only does it
not have the "D" mode problem, but the programming allows me to use
mouse control of the "D" mode directly from screen buttons. Very cool.
So it is possible to make the software do this correctly. Of course
DM780 is unlikely to have any ALE support, but it would be nice to have.
Even more important would be to have advanced technology such as the FAE
modes.

As far as Winlink 2000, I would have no way to access it in a practical
manner. I am not sure what you mean by a NVIS link.  Steve Waterman was
very opposed to my suggestion of increasing any NVIS capability of their
system as you folks are with your system. I don't understand this, but
its your system and you have to decide on the goals that are important
to you.

Along with the great majority of digital oriented hams,  I prefer sound
card modes and have no plans to move back toward legacy hardware. While
VHF Packet could be used in some areas, it is not a weak signal mode and
can only go a short distance and thus no servers would be accessible
from this area on a consistent basis. Anything we would set up here
would likely go down if the internet failed. One future change that they
are making is to add a way to forward traffic between stations connected
to an RMSpacket server, even when the internet goes down. This is
something I asked for years ago and was told that was not their plan to
do so, but moving to provide this capability will mean that those
servers, will effectively be like hubbing emergency PMBO's (now RMS) for
VHF. This is a welcome change in their thinking.

Now if they ever move again toward building on the already invented high
speed SCAMP mode (which was shelved three years ago), and include a fall
back weak signal mode, they will have a technology that would make it
possible to run 1000 wpm during moderately good conditions on HF and
even faster on VHF, using sound card modes rather than legacy hardware
modes. Speaking from experience, it is quite a blast to run 1000 wpm on
HF using a sound card ARQ mode!

In the meantime, the advantage of the ALE servers is that while some
what of a legacy mode, compared to the new technology we have with weak
signal sound card modes, it is currently the only automatic e-mail
server system, using sound card technology, that can work with MS Windows.

The the other reason that I am using the system is to see how it works
on a practical basis and eventually will be included in some of my
published information. I want to give it a fair test and hopefully hear
of more hams doing the same. How about it group members? How are your
experiences using the system?