--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien" <k3uka...@...>
wrote:
> --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Boese"
> <datapacrat+yahoo@> wrote:

> > I'm still fairly inexperienced at the whole amateur radio thing -
> > so far, I have my basic license and a VHF handheld. I'd like to
> > start exploring digital modes, and am hoping that you might be
> > able to suggest what sort of rig would work well for that.
> >
> > I do have two limitations, though; I live in what's effectively a
> > ground-floor apartment, and am thus limited in what sort of
> > antenna I can put on my patio; and have a somewhat limited budget
> > - call it US$500 at the outside, and preferably less, if possible.
> > Given that, does it seem feasible to start getting involved in
> > this aspect of ham, or should I focus my attention elsewhere?

> If you are planning just to do the VHF band, you are kinda limited .
> There is not a whole of digital mode activity on VHF other than
> packet radio, mostly APRS.  There are a few people that try digital
> modes like PSK on 2 meters SSB but openings are few and far between.
> There are also some people that use JT6M and FSK440 on 2m for meteor
> scatter, but high gain 2 meter antennas are the norm for meteor
> work.  Your handheld is likely FM mode only, most people use SSB for
> RTTY, PSK31, and more.
>
> APRS and packet via your handheld is quite feasible , Southern
> Ontario has a lot of activity.  A simple vertical for 2 meters on
> your patio would work quite well.
>

> If you try six meters, there is more activity mostly PSK31 but again
> you are subject to days at a time where the band may not open beyond
> your local region.
>
> If you are able to get HF privelges, you can do lot.  If your patio
> is small, you could build a low profile vertical that could work on
> 10 meters of 15 meters.  As these bands open up more in the next
> year or so, you can work many digital modes and work around the
> world.
>
> If you have a few hundred dollars in you budget, I suggest you work
> towards the HF privileges and put most of the money in to a used HF
> rig.  You may be able to get something for US$300 and certainly for
> US$400.  A Kenwood TS440 or Icom 735 may be something to look around
> for.  You can build a basic antenna for your patio for $25.00
>
> The general requirements to get on the digital modes are...
>
> radio with SSB, one that is stable and has digital readout.
> A PC with a soundcard.
> Simple cables to connect your PC to the radio
> An "interface" that enables software control of your rig and reduces
> ground loops.
> The cables and interface can usually be purchased for $40 or so,
> some people build their own for $10-15
>

> Stick with your goals, we can help you here.  Ask any questions
>
> 73 Andy K3UK

Hello Andrew, and thank you for your quick reply.

With my current license, I have privileges for 30 MHz and up (10
metres and shorter) - it'll take some further studying and testing
before I'm allowed on 15 metres. But if I can, I'd still like to start
with digital before then. If anyone would care to suggest transceivers
that function on 30+MHz, I'm interested in your recommendations. (Or if

My existing handheld is a Kenwood TH-D7AG; it has built-in APRS,
though of course with its rubber-duck antenna, range is questionable.
I have a Win98 laptop able to run MultiPSK, though I don't have any
cables to connect it to the handheld (or anything else). (If you
happen to know how I might get my hands on such a cable, it would be
appreciated...)

What I'm currently most interested in, are the fundamentals defining
the various digital modes, and figuring out how to figure out which
ones are most useful in various conditions, and from there, figuring
out what features in a digital mode help or hinder.

Once I have my digital-radio feet under me, I'm also interested, to an
extent, in setting up some sort of packet BBS, given my fond memories
of dial-up BBSes twenty-odd years ago.

Thank you for your time,
--
Daniel Boese         VA3BOS, FN03ie
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe