All,

It's always interesting to see how different modes perform under adverse
conditions. The polar ionosphere can be especially brutal on throughput and
choosing the right mode can make all the difference.

To illustrate this, I recorded a few QSO's I made this evening with JA1RZD,
UA0QGG and RA0QW. All paths cut through the polar ionosphere from here in W2.
The fluttery signals were easily recognizable by sight and sound.

In a nutshell, JA1RZD's MFSK16 signal was near perfect copy. There was some
obvious signal spreading that's typical on this path, but there were no garbled
characters to speak of.

That wasn't the case when I found him just a few minutes later working W9 on
PSK31. Signal strength was the same but copy wasn't good. It would have been
difficult to carry on a conversation as the text shows.

I worked UA0QGG and RA0QW on PSK31 a few minutes later and the results were the
same; difficult copy despite strong signals. A switch over to one of the MFSK
modes would have improved things dramatically under those conditions.

Low latitude paths (spread-F) show a similar kind of instability so this sort
of thing is not just confined to the polar ionosphere. Thankfully, we have a
number of modes that overcome this.

BTW -- this is not to say that the PSK31 mode is no good; it is probably the
best spectrum-friendly, user-friendly weak signal mode available and works just
fine most of the time. It just goes to show that all modes can't do all things
all the time.

See text below...

Tony -K2MO

(JA1RZD on MFSK16)

K2MO K2MO de JA1RZD JA1RZD

Roger Tony.  Tnx for the report.

The WX here is fine and temp is 7 C.

Here is my setup:
Transceiver :
IC-746 with IC-PW1 amp at
250 watts on PSK31
350 watts on MFSK
700 watts on RTTY
Antenna    :
Five element tribander for 20, 15, 10 meter bands
and add on rotary dipole for 40 m.
Four element dual bander for 17 and 12 meter bands
Software   : MMVARI by JE3HHT
Interface : Home brew
PC           : Celeron CPU 2GHz, RAM 1GB

I would like to exchange QSL cards via the bureau.
If you cannot use the bureau, send me your card durectly.
I am OK on QRZ.com.

BTU K2MO Tony de JA1RZD KN

K2MO K2MO de JA1RZD JA1RZD

Tnx for the Contact, Tony.  I hope to see you soon on the air.
Thank you very much for the QSO.
Best 73 and Sayonara from Tokyo Japan.
K2MO Tony de JA1RZD sk ....

CQ CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD
Q CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD
CQ CQ CQ CQ DX DE JA1RZD JA1RZD JA1RZD  Pse kkk

(JA1RZD on PSK31)

 DX DE JA1RZD JyyRZD JA1RrtD
CQ rCQ CQ a a  D. JA1RZD  fn yRZD JAs RZD
CQ Ct CQ Cm  1X DE JA1"CD JA1R= - JA1kZD  Pseepkk
anr
n e kRe ea ti  e -Vet:       pis o o e =  v,g    noto  mi_ e.ee)nee…ht
QR} zRZ QRZ7e J
€RZa  1Rtel  JeÉRZk k

 W9NCQ de JA1RZD JA1R dD‰
Good a
ternoon ‘a.
lhank yqu ve msch fo  your seply.
Yout sigdl R-Q ns E49  u4949.
Mame is ben Ken KeeKen.
My QTH is Nisö Tok
o City, Nisé Toky ity, Nishi ToFyo City,
×t 2) km west of central Tokyo.
G etd Lonator is PM95sr  wae9tesr

BTU WVNCW  de JA1ROV KNÄti eÏŽhe e on n Ae

W9NCQ W9rQ de JA1OCD JA1RZD
OK Roger.  T for the report.
My age is C9 and I have three nailiren and one grandstn.
I obtained mA -i ee  license in 1964
an=p  eavebne enj ctng DXing and chatte'
I  lso have FExtretnl9s lice e , N1s G.

ethe WD hetbif clo
dy now anddeeep is 7  i outs  ae.
herry nsomsare now  vb bu  7 is rathD asld over ome last few t aysi
Eo we e an enjod cherry blossoms longer than ordinary geth.

Here is eetup:
Transs iver :
IC-74a  with IC-PW1 am
 Eon

 50 watts on PSK31
watts on MFSK
iZg0 watts on RTTY
Antenoe    : e
F  f
element tribander for 20,
5, 10 m= r bands
ane add on rota=Edipol  not *0 m.
oKeure en ten al  ‡nder for 17 ans Gleleter bands
o seeeãhe t MA
 JE3Ht _

(UA0QGG PSK31)

ICQ CQ CQ DE UA0QGG U
0QGG UA0QGG CQ
pse K

 CQ CQ DE UA0QGGþA0QpG UA0QGG
CQ CQ CQDE UA0QGG UA0Q UA0QpG CQ
e pse K
iseenow ™m

KMO de UAgQGG
Aood eveningDR Tony
RSQ 5es9 599 et
N E Vas¶y erasily,(1es56/ie2)
QTH Yakutsk Yakut ek ,NE AI Russia
LOC PPM2QA PP42QA
Last QSO 09.10.m008 20M BPSK31
HW?
K2MO de UA0QGG pek

ehI sv vh natof o

...K2mO Tony de UA0QGG UA0QGG
...TNX FOR FB QSO BPSK31
...+SL VIA BUREAU OR DIRECA 100URE
...ALL TttE BEST! WISHYOU GhOD LreCK!
...My RigÓIC-756PRO3 60w,Ant:2el Qu(15et
 0m)
 K2MO de UA0QGG kn.
r  in ees*  no  e  o eeert  tat

(RW0QW PSK31)

  ae e a tots wtA f0QW  CQ CQ CQ Do   nA0oiW RA0QW CA0QW CQ
use J

 K2yO K2MO t e RA0toQ.
xood eveoing DR OM
 SQ 599 599 ,