As others have said on the group, if possible home brew the sound card
interface. They are very simple and many examples can be found. I went to my
local computer recycler and got two old modem cards for free, and pulled the
transformers for isolating the sound signals. All in all the most expensive
component was a new box to put it all in which was less than $5.

You can find USB rig control computer interfaces on ebay for less than $10.

No need for all of the complexity of an expensive interface, which unless you
are always changing rigs is in my mind overkill.

So now you need to know where best to spend your money, between a new radio and
an antenna.  If your present radio does not have DSP in it then go for that
first. I was delighted with the improvements that this feature makes when I got
back into the hobby and bought something to replace an ageing TS830 two years
back. I went for the Icom 7000, but any with DSP will probably serve you. I
especially liked the 7000 as I have only the head unit on my desk, thus there
is no bulk to find space for on the desktop.

You mention a screwdriver antenna so I presume that you must be working mobile
as otherwise there is no real need for a screwdriver, again the 7000 fits well
in that environment.

All the best in your decision making, let us all know on the list what you
finally decide on doing.

Cheers - Andy - VE3NVK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey &