[...]

> OK, then there is Olivia.  Nobody in our group wants to use
> Fldigi/Flarq because we are forced to use a custom mode.

Olivia is not a custom mode.  It is well supported and most (all?)
useful bandwidth/tones pairs can be set via RSID.  It is also not the
only effective mode for NBEMS.

> We can't just customize it and leave it alone.  Every time we select
> it - up pops a window to confuse people into diddling with it.  We
> don't need our custom mode embedded in fldigi software, just let us
> set it up and then have the software leave us alone when we select it.

You can choose any available combination of tones and bandwidth and save
it, and fldigi will remember it the next time you run it.  There are a
few commonly used presets (e.g. 8/250, 16/500 etc.) in a menu for quick
access.  We could possibly add your preferred settings if you ask.  We
also plan to make Olivia presets available as macro buttons.

> But, there is a worse problem.  The fldigi 3.12 is a nightmere that
> often will not even start - it pops up error messages and fails right
> and left - an unreliable useless software product.

3.12 made some very extensive changes to the Windows side of things;
little, if any, OS support code was left untouched.  3.12 was tested by
many users before release and I can assure you that it does not fail
right away for them or the developers.  It's likely that more time will
be needed until it is up to par with 3.11 (which had more than one year
of testing) in stability, but obviously we had to release it!

> However the fldigi 3.11 has possibilities - but try to get a group to
> all be using the same version of anything?  Especially tell them to
> not use the latest version?  And not the past 3 latest versions?  Ok -
> fldigi is a joke and waste of time - it's taken a global leaps
> backwards.  "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate
> it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team
> for more information" - uh - no thank you.

Great, now please explain how we can possibly fix bugs that we know
nothing about.  You seem to think that we released a broken version on
purpose just so that we could show you the Windows crash handler -- but
that would be absurd.

> "fldigi.exe has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a solution
> to the problem" "A problem has caused the program to stop working
> correctly.. Windows will close the program and notify you if a
> solution is available".

Nothing we can do about the "reassuring" Windows messages, sorry.  We do
not receive those crash reports.  Please report bugs to us and we'll do
our best to squash them.  Basic bug report guidelines here:

If you do not wish to email us directly or subscribe to any mailing
lists in order to report bugs, there is a bug tracker here (BerliOS
account required to file new reports, will try to get this changed):

  http://developer.berlios.de/mantis/set_project.php?project_id=9149

And if you subscribe to this list you'll receive regular notifications
of new test releases (including win32 binaries):