>From what I have read in the past, there is a difference between inexpensive
>sound cards and the high quality ones.  I recall past articles that suggest
>the high quality ones can result in some very weak signals being detectable in
>a waterfall,  whereas cheap cards may not reproduce the signal.  However, as
>most of us know, even the cheap sound cards effectively render the average ham
>signals, even quite weak ones.

So, aside from the higher end ones rendering weak signals on a waterfall
better, what are measurable difference between a poor cheap one and a really
good top-of-the-line one ?  Can someone explain this is plain English?

I am aware of the "calibration/timing" issue.  Although that too does not seem
to make a huge difference with many digital modes.  Of the numerous digital
modes I have tried over the years, PC-ALE and JT65A in WSJT have been the most
impacted by calibration issues.  I have seen WSJT not decode at all when timing
of the soundcard is not correct.  Do higher end sound card have less problems
with timing/calibration than cheap ones?

Is calibration really an issue of concern IF an application can enable a
re-calibration process ?  If an application enables re-calibration, does that
only "hold" for that application or can it correct the soundcard for other
applications.

I raise these questions out of general interest,  but also because of recent
WINMOR test where the poor performance has been blamed , in part, on cheap
sound cards or sound cards not dedicated to the application.  I don't know
enough to argue the point, but my suspicion is that it is  really not that
sound card related.

Andy K3UK