Hello Andy,

    There was a very good article in QST a few years ago about sound cards.
They ran five different cards through quite a battery of tests in the ARRL
Lab and yes indeed, you really do get better performance out of some cards.
But dollar for dollar, the performance was not linear. As you know, you can
do quite well on a cheap card but do marginally better on a 60 dollar card
and the lab reports showed as much. I am sure that most of the cards they
reviewed are no longer being manufactured or have changed at least a little
so it is difficult (like anything else electronic these days) to keep up
with what is good.  I am sure that QST article is available in the back
issues if somebody wanted to dig for it but I learned a lot. I have no
trouble with my card but I am not fighting the WINMOR Battle with it yet.
Contentment and enlightenment await those who are not early adopters of
technology . . . I have not yet reached the 24th stage of WINMOR awareness.
:-) And I am prepared to wait on a few more beta releases - Yes I am a
member of the WINMOR Yahoo group.

   I suspect that any calibration done in one application is only good for
the use of that card in that application and nowhere else in that computer.
But hey, I could be wrong on this.

Rick - KH2DF

  _____