According to the terms of our licenses, each of us is supposed to have read and
understood part 97 of the FCC rules and regulations. Here's a summary of the
upper limits for RTTY/data emissions in 97.305 and 97.307 as I read it:

1.8-24.99 MHz: 300 baud with 1 kHz shift or facsimile with 500 Hz maximum
bandwidth
28-29.7 MHz: 1200 baud with 1 kHz shift or facsimile with 500 Hz maximum
bandwidth
50-144 MHz: 19,200 baud, 20 kHz bandwidth
219-220 MHz: 100 kHz bandwidth
222-450 MHz: 56,000 baud, 100 kHz bandwidth
1240+ MHz: no limits

The facsimile in HF rtty/data segments exception was put in recently to allow
the use of Hellschreiber. There are no data rate (bits per second) limitations
on any frequency and no bandwidth limitations on HF except for fax.

For phone/image emssions the rules are different. For 1.8-148 and 222-225 MHz
non-phone emissions are limited to the bandwidth of communications-quality
phone emissions of same modulation type. Given the maximum bandwdths used for
each mode in the past, this presumably means less than 3.4 kHz for SSB, 10 kHz
for AM/ISB and 30 kHz for FM. Note that image includes B7W, B8W and B9W (ISB)
emissions that can contain any combination of rtty, data, phone and image.
There are no baud rate limits. There are no limits at all for 420 MHz and
above, except that emissions must stay within the band.

73,

John
KD6OZH